WebHeader1 photo header1_zps3fe1d8d3.jpg

Aaron Feaver

I am currently so in love with Aaron Feaver's stuff, that I can't actually just choose a few images to put here.
As I begin to focus on really pinpointing my technical abilities, my strengths, my weakness - in essence, what sets my images apart from anyone else's - I've been looking at a lot of photographers who work in a similar vein to Feaver.



That appearance of documentary, which somehow avoids simply being reportage or appearing to be snapshot photography. It, despite seeming to be images of (for the most part) unorchestrated moments, comes across more as art, successfully managing to capture the beauty of the everyday. Those moments which we so often pass by or never even see. I love the idea that those armed with a camera and a keen photographic eye see these moments and recognise their power and beauty.

"Karina". Aaron Feaver.
"Ariela". Aaron Feaver
"Tania". Aaron Feaver.
"Cassidy". Aaron Feaver.
While there are a selection of images which are obvious organised  portrait sessions, even these are extremely natural and relaxed. The subjects of these images are utterly relaxed and at ease, instantly highlighting to me their  relationship with the photographer. The ability for a photographer to put their sitter at such comfort is something that interests me as I love the idea of photographing people in relaxed states in order to truly capture their personalities and character in the image.

As I work very much with unorchestrated moments, natural light and settings and, what I consider very pure ingredients to create my work, Feaver's work has constantly been in the back of my mind as I have been making work this Summer. I feel that there is a natural ease to his work which is what has been missing from my own. I have a tendency to over think things, to feel as though every time I take a shot there must be strong meaning and motivation behind it. Recently, I have found that being driven by your instincts benefits you greatly - no matter how overly romantic that may sound. 

Over the Summer, I've been trying to produce as much work as possible before I begin my third year so that I can begin feeling strong and confident about my work. I figure that starting the first day of term with a strong idea of where my next body of work is going is obviously a good idea. I've been shooting roll after roll of film as and when I feel it's right, rather than holding back and over analysing every single thing. I've yet to develop them, but I'm hoping this new approach has worked. I've been motivated by shadows and light, beauty in amongst clutter, quiet within chaos and I develop my ideas and seem to be moving more towards a piece of work which explores my current thoughts considering the human condition and what exactly it means to exist in these times. It sound extremely frilly, and I've yet to define it, but I'm hoping that once I define it a little more, I'll be able to articulate myself better.

Concept aside, I'm really focusing on simplicity and beauty, and as those close to me - whether it be family or friends - are intricate to my work, and I am definitely interested in attempting some more traditional styled portrait shots, particularly something along the lines of Feaver's. I don't want to go to far towards studio-esque shots as this simply wouldn't work with the earthy atmosphere of the rest of my work, but focusing more closely on the individual in the way that Feaver does is definitely an idea I want to try out.

"Karina". Aaron Feaver
"Amia". Aaron Feaver